Home > Our School > History 

History 

SAPS Statue

THE BEGINNINGS

St. Anthony’s School was established on 1 August 1879 by the Catholic Portuguese Mission of Singapore. It was then called St. Anna’s School and had a mixture of boys and girls.Fr. Jose Pedro Sta. Anna de Cunha, a native of Goa, Assistant of Fr. Nicolau Inacio Pinto, had started the school to cater to the poor children who could not afford an education, even though the school fees then were very low. St. Anna’s School, which was located in a small rented house in Middle Road, did not charge any fees. The six pupils of the first enrolment thus enjoyed free tuition. C.M.E. Buccanam was the 1st principal of St. Anna’s School and was aided by two teachers, Margaret Dias and Mary Anna Ruggelly.

ST. ANTHONY'S BOYS' AND GIRLS' SCHOOL

On 23 February 1886, in conjunction with the shift to the new school building, and with the consent of the Archbishop Primate, Canon Pinto changed the name of the school to St. Anthony’s Boys' and Girls' School.

ST. ANTHONY'S BOYS' SCHOOL

The government did not consent to the existence of a mixed school, so Fr. Pinto, on December 1887, compromised by separating the boys and the girls in the school.

In November 1893, under the suggestion of the school inspector that the boys’ school be physically separated from the girls’ school, St. Anthony’s became St. Anthony’s Boys’ School and St. Anthony’s Girls’ School. The boys’ school was transferred to two old shop-houses behind the Parochial House.

NEW BUILDING FOR ST. ANTHONY'S BOYS' SCHOOL

Fr. Antonio Abilio Sapage had petitioned for the erection of a modern and spacious new building for the school. On 21st October 1924, the Bishop of Macao, Dom Jose da Costa Nunes, agreed to build it. The Portuguese Mission and the government shared equally the cost of building the new school. The two old shop-houses were demolished. In June 1926, stood a reinforced concrete, three-storied building for the school. A bronze statue of St. Anthony was placed on the top of it. This building is still standing today and is gazetted for conservation.

ST. ANTHONY'S UNDER LA SALLE CHRISTIAN BROTHERS

On 11th October 1938, the agreement was signed between the Vicar General of the Portuguese Mission and the Visitor of the Christian Brothers in Malaya. In January 1939, the school was formerly taken over and was managed and controlled by the Christian Brothers of St. John Baptist de La Salle. The first Director was Rev. Brother Canice. Rev.

JAPANESE OCCUPATION

During the Japanese Occupation the school continued to function as part of the Japanese Educational System. As a result, the building was not taken over by the Japanese Army. When Liberation Day came, St. Anthony’s was able to resume at once. Brother Christopher took over from Brother Canice as the Director in November 1945.

AFTER THE WAR

In 1954, it was felt that the present location could not provide adequate laboratory and other specialist facilities. Thus, some of St. Anthony’s secondary classes were transferred to St. Joseph’s Institution. In 1961, all the secondary classes were transferred to St. Joseph’s Institution. St. Anthony’s Boys’ School then became purely a primary school.

THE SHIFT TO BUKIT BATOK

The School was relocated in May 1992 to Bukit Batok and became a co-ed school. It was thus renamed St. Anthony's Primary School.

GROWING AS WE ADVANCE

The School continued to undergo several upgrading programmes to improve, enhance and add-on to its infrastructure in order to provide Anthonians with more facilities to enhance their learning experiences.

 In 2013, the school was temporarily relocated to Jurong East to enable the Bukit Batok campus to undergo extensive redevelopment works which included the building of an Indoor Sports Hall and the addition of two levels of classrooms at its existing blocks. This enabled us to operate as a single-session school from 2015 when we returned to our Bukit Batok campus.

 The school celebrated its 135th Anniversary on 4 July 2015 at the redeveloped premises with a Re-dedication Mass, celebrated by Archbishop William Goh, who also officially opened the school building, and an Anniversary Dinner which brought together many cohorts of Anthonians and former staff members.


ADMINISTRATIVE SET-UP (1879 TO PRESENT)

ST. ANNA'S SCHOOL
Year Principal Assistants
1884 Miss J. McIntyre E. McIntyre, J. Derric
1885 Miss J. McIntyre E. McIntyre, J. Derric, P. McIntyre
1886 C.M.E. Buccannam F. Philip, J. Derric, M.Monis

ST. ANTHONY'S BOY'S AND GIRL'S SCHOOL
Year Principal Assistants
1888 Miss J. Tolley Mary Richards, A. Rodrigues, V. Eber
1889 Miss J. Tolley Mary Richards, A. Rodrigues, Miss Cazalas
1886 C.M.E. Buccannam F. Philip, J. Derric, M.Monis

DIRECTORS OF THE SCHOOL
1879 – 1881 Fr. Jose Pedro Sta. Anna e Cunha
1881 – 1891 Fr. Inacio Teofilo Pinto & Fr. J.J. Baptista
1891 – 1898 Fr. Cesar Augusto dos Santos Vital
1898 – 1906 Fr. Adroaldo Maria dos Santos, (Acting)
1906 – 1921 Fr. Francisco Bonito Braganca
1921 – 1927 Fr. Antonio Abilio Sapage
1927 – 1938 Fr. Artur Goncalves

DIRECTORS AND PRINCIPALS OF ST. ANTHONY'S BOY'S AND GIRL'S PRIMARY SCHOOL
1946 – 1948 Bro. Christopher
1948 – 1951 Bro. Philip
1952 Bro. Bernard
1953 – 1954 Bro. William
1955 – 1956 Bro. Thomas
1956 – 1957 Bro. Finan
1958 – 1960 Bro. Gabriel
1960 Bro. Sebastian
1960 – 1965 Mr. Teo Kim Song
1965 – 1968 Mr. Leong Hong Hee
1968 – 1976 Mr. Kenneth D’Rozario
1976 – 1992 Mr. Tan Hye San
1992 – 1999 Mr. Michael Yong Shao Chih
1999 – 2003 Ms. Bernadette Lim Bee Hiong
2003 – 2010 Mr. Thomas Koh
2010 Ms. Christina Teo

St. Anthony's Boys' School - Victoria Street (1920s)

Victoria Street Building - 1920s

St. Anthony's Boys' School - After adding a 4th level (1950s)

Victoria Street Building - 1950s


School Photo, with St Joseph's Church in the background (1960s)

School Photo - 1960s


St. Anthony's Boys' School - (until 1991)

Old School - Until 1991


St. Anthony's Primary School  (SAPS) in Bukit Batok (1991 - 1999)

Old School - 1991 to 1999


SAPS after PRIME (2000-2012)

School Building - 2000 to 2012


SAPS@Jurong East (2013 - 2014)

School Building@Jurong East - 2013 to 2014


SAPS@Bukit Batok  (2015 till today)


SAPS@Bukit Batok - 2015 to Present


Some Staff members (past and present) of SABS/SAPS


Staff Members - Group Photo 01

Staff Members - Group Photo 02